JAKARTA (TheInsiderStories) – Indonesia’ opposition leader, Prabowo Subianto, said he would refuse the election results, which would be officially announced by the General Election Commission (GEC) on May 22. He also declared his resistance to a democratic process that was fraudulent, while claiming that he won the election, based on internal calculations.
Based on C1 data collected by the opposition team, Subianto and his running mate Sandiaga Salahuddin Uno won 54.24 percent of the vote compared to 44.14 percent belonging to incumbent Joko Widodo – Maruf Amin.
“We understand that democracy is the best way for us. But we see, have a hill and experienced the rape of democracy in the country,” he said at the “Uncovering the facts of the 2019 presidential election fraud” event in Jakarta on Tuesday (05/14).
The conference invited all related elements: election organizers (GEC, Election Supervisory Body), the national winning team of Widodo – Amin, and the Police. But they chose not to attend, for reasons not explained.
Subianto promised not to give up fighting to uphold justice, for the existence of Indonesian democracy, and the people who had chosen especially hundreds of officers who died during the election process.
“Actually I want to rest. But after I go around and feel the hopes and suffering of the people. If the process of seizure and rape continues, only the people determine. I will be with them to the last drop of blood. We will defend the truth until the people’s victory is recognized,” he said.
The former general also stressed that his struggle was not an attempt to overthrow the legitimate government as alleged. Last week, opposition supporters had indeed been summoned and arrested.
Amin Rais, Eggy Sudjana, Kivlan Zen, Bachtiar Nasir, are names that have dealt with the police. They are known to be vocal in criticizing the government for the course of the elections they called designed to win the incumbent.
Subianto also asked the election organizers to uphold justice precisely because the future of democracy was at stake. He stated: “If you continue this lie, it means you allow occupation of all the people. And during that time, we will reject the results, we cannot accept injustice and dishonesty.”
His running mate Uno emphasized the same thing and highlighted the electoral process which claimed hundreds of lives of officers. He called it a “deadly election in history.” Another negative note, he adds, was the widespread practice of money politics involving one of the Golkar party officials before the voting day. Despite being arrested, the continuation of this case is unclear.
“If we pull back we feel the awkwardness and injustice that we have found. The list of troubled voters has no solution, 6.5 million are not invited, the ballot boxes are very vulnerable, intimidation and others. This is very detrimental to us,” said Uno.
All fraud evidence, said the head of the opposition team Djoko Santoso, had been submitted to the election commission and asked them to stop the vote counting process. He urged a thorough audit of the GEC’ counting system due to widespread data input errors.
Meanwhile, National Army and Policeare deploying more than 32,000 troops to secure Jakarta, following intelligence of possible terrorist attacks during the release of the election results in the week ahead. They are scrambling to foil what they suspect is a plot by a local militant group to set off bombs during street protests, expected after the official vote count is announced.
“There are indications of terrorists possibly mounting attacks when there is a mass gathering at the GEC building. So we are taking precautionary measures to optimally thwart such acts,” said national police spokesman Dedi Prasetyo.
He adds, police and military personnel will also set up security cordons around the elections supervisory body headquarters in downtown Jakarta. The building is located in a major thoroughfare in the city where the first terrorist attack in Indonesia claimed by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria played out back in 2016.
Last week, supporters of opposition-held two street rally there to pressure the elections watchdog to act on his allegations of electoral fraud until May 22. The move to beef up security, particularly around the elections commission and supervisory body buildings, comes after police last week busted a terror cell.
The group was armed with homemade bombs and had the ability to circumvent electronic safeguards set up to prevent bombs from being detonated remotely by a terrorist using a cellphone or radio transmitter. These signal jammers are effective defensive devices used to protect large areas from a remotely operated improvised explosive device or IED in military speak.
One of the suspects arrested during the raids by counter-terrorism police last Wednesday had modified the switching mechanism of an IED so that a bomb can be set off using Wi-Fi technology instead. This means the suspect could use Wi-Fi to detonate a bomb in the event that regular cellphone signals are jammed by the police during a protest, Prasetyo said.
“With that, he can put (their bombs) in some backpacks, and later he would just detonate them from a distance of 1km for example,” he opined, referring to a terror suspect he identified only by the initials EY.
Prasetyo disclosed a total of 8 people in Lampung and 2 people in Bekasi had been arrested in last week’s raid and confirmed that a manhunt is ongoing for other members of the terror cell, which is linked to the Jemaah Ansharut Daulah (JAD).
The JAD, a local militant group with loose ties to ISIS, is responsible for a series of terror plots in Indonesia including the 2016 ISIS-inspired attack in Jakarta, as well as the coordinated suicide bombings of three churches and the local police station in Surabaya in May last year, which killed 14 people.
Written by Lexy Nantu, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org