United States Decides not to Reissue Sanctions Waivers for Iranian Oil
US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo.

JAKARTA (TheInsiderStories) – United States (US) Secretary of State Michael Pompeo said Thursday he was happy and willing to go to Tehran to discuss US foreign policy after the two countries had strengthened its relations over the past three months after an attack on oil tankers in the Hormuz Strait off the coast of Iran.

“I’d like a chance to go, not do propaganda but speak the truth to the Iranian people about what it is their leadership has done and how it has harmed Iran,” he said.

Tensions between Iran and the US have simmered since last year when President Donald Trump withdrew the US from the Iran Comprehensive Action Agreement for a nuclear agreement, re-imposed sanctions on Tehran. The dispute became “the worst deal ever”.

The main allies of Washington, Britain, France, and Germany oppose Trump’s decision to exit the nuclear agreement and try to remain neutral. But Britain was more directly attracted to the confrontation on July 4 when the Royal Marines captured an Iranian tanker from Gibraltar, accused of violating European sanctions against Syria.

Previously, Trump said he was open to talks with Iran and the US was ready to negotiate at any time for a new agreement that would strengthen the boundaries of Iran’s nuclear program and replace the multinational agreement supported by President Barack Obama in 2015 left by Trump last year.

Trump and Iranian leaders have openly said the talks were possible, although each party had different conditions for the negotiations to take place.

However, an important military adviser to Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Wednesday that Tehran would not negotiate with Washington under any circumstances, strengthening Iran’s position in the midst of a crisis.

Another tension between the two different ideologies is also because the US said it had dropped one and possibly two Iranian drones last week, and blamed Iran for a series of mysterious attacks on tankers in strategic Persian Gulf waters.

Then, Tehran shot down an unmanned US aircraft in June, after which Trump announced that he had canceled the last minute retaliatory air strike because the death toll would be too high.

Finally, the top Iranian diplomat renewed the allegations during a visit to the United Nations last week that the US used sanctions to inflame “economic terrorism.”

“The Iranian people are” the most brutal targets of economic terrorism – deliberately targeting innocent civilians to achieve illegal political goals,” said Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif.

Yesterday, Pompeo dismissed the allegations and said Zarif was no longer responsible for the Iranian government because the issue was encouraged by Iranian leader Ayatollah.

According to Pompeo, because of the treatment of the Iranian leader, the US came out of the agreement, stopped giving Iran money, put pressure on the Iranian regime, and forced the Islamic Republic to make difficult decisions about how they would behave.

Therefore, Pompeo explained that he was willing to appear on Iranian television to explain the reasons for the US behind the sanctions.

“We want behavioral changes from the Iranian leadership so that the people of Iran can finally get what they deserve,” Pompeo said.

Written by Staff Editor, Email: theinsiderstories@gmail.com