JAKARTA (TheInsiderStories) – Indonesian Constitutional Court stated its readiness to hear a lawsuit dispute over the results of the 2019 presidential election and will complete the trial within 14 days, said Constitutional Court chief Anwar Usman in Jakarta last week.

In addition, he ensured that all judges would work independently in handling these cases. He believed that all constitutional justices were not at all affected by the political atmosphere during the election. It has anticipated various external pressures.

On Friday, presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto – Sandiaga Salahuddin Uno’ camp filed the presidential election suit, as the deadline for filing a claim. Hashim Dodjohadikusumo, Subianto’ younger brother lead the team.

The decision to sue the presidential election results was submitted by Subianto last Tuesday after the General Election Commission (GEC) announced incumbent Joko Widodo – Maruf Amin as the winner. They won 55.5 percent of the vote to Subianto-Uno’ 44.5 percent.

“We reject the final presidential vote tally by the GEC. And we’ll take all available legal avenues supported by the Constitution,” Subianto said at his home in South Jakarta.

GEC’ head Arief Budiman said the losing candidates had until Friday to file a lawsuit to contest the results, within three days of the official announcement of the vote tally.

If no legal challenge is filed, the GEC will officially name Widodo-Amin as the president- and vice president-elect for the 2019-2024 period on Friday, he said.

Opposition campaign spokesperson Andre Rosiade said the opposition legal team had prepared all the documents needed for the benefit of the lawsuit. He adds their legal team had originally planned to file the lawsuit today but it was pushed back until tomorrow, which is the deadline for submitting a challenge to the election results.

Subianto also filed a legal challenge to the 2014 election results in the Court after losing to President Widodo for the first time. The court unanimously dismissed his case, saying it lacked sufficient evidence.

Court spokesperson Fajar Laksono told reporters today that Subianto’ campaign would have extremely strong evidence in the form of documents, videos or records of any kind, indicating voter fraud on a scale massive enough to have made a difference in the election.

“The most valid forms of proof, for example, would be evidence from C1 forms (used to record vote capitulations at polling stations) or witnesses who experienced firsthand what happened. Indeed, it is not easy to prove fraud and loss of votes especially if we’re talking about 16.5 million votes,” Laksono said, referring to the margin of votes Widodo won.

He said that if the lawsuit was filed tomorrow, hearings on it could begin on June 14 (the delay being caused by the Idul Fitri holiday period) and the entire process could be completed by June 28.

Meanwhile, the election commission has also prepared to face a lawsuit resulting from the election by preparing a legal team to be on duty.

“There is already a name, the commission has completed the legal team, which will later be tasked to the dispute in the Court,” said GEC commissioner Viryan Aziz.

Written by Lexy Nantu, Email: lexy@theinsiderstories.com