National police clashed with thousands of protesters who had gathered at the headquarters of the election supervisory agency in main road Thamrin in Central Jakarta early Wednesday morning. Photo: Privacy.

JAKARTA (TheInsiderStories) – Indonesia’s political situation continued to head up following 6 people died and 200 people were reported injured in the mass rally which took place from Tuesday afternoon to Wednesday morning in the capital Jakarta.

“There were 6 people killed, 200 people were injured due to riots earlier this morning,” said Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan in Jakarta on Wednesday (05/21), when visiting a number of victims who are currently being treated at a number of hospitals in Jakarta.

National police chief Tito Karnavian on Wednesday press conference confirmed reports that people had died but urged people not to immediately conclude that they had been killed by riot police. In the days leading up to the protest, he said a number of weapons had been found among people planning to protest. He urged Indonesians to “remain calm and not to be provoked”.

National police spokesman Inspector General Mohammad Iqbal told reporters that the apparatus, according to instructions, were not allowed to use sharp weapons to secure the period.

“We still have to check and confirm it. We will always be updated. But we need to convey it too that some of the people who were trying to come (to Jakarta) planned to commit anarchic acts, not just hold peaceful rallies,” Iqbal said.

Previously, national police break thousands of anti-Joko Widodo protesters, who had gathered at the headquarters of the election supervisory agency, with tear gas and water cannon on Wednesday morning. The police estimated big mass rally is expected to occur again today with more and more participants arriving from the other region.

Starting on Tuesday afternoon, riots began when the police had ordered the protesters to go home three times but they insisted to stay, forcing officers from anti-riot unit to fire tear gases. The protesters fought back by throwing rocks, glass bottles as well as firecrackers.

The protesters are supporters of presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto and his running mate Sandiaga Salahuddin Uno, who refused to accept the results of 2019 presidential elections announced by the General Elections Commission (GEC) on early Tuesday.

The commission declared Joko Widodo and Ma’ruf Amin as the winners of the presidential election. They won 55.5 percent of the vote, 11 percent more than their contender, Subianto – Uno, who has continued to reject the result, citing election fraud.

From Tanah Abang area, a group of demonstrators moved towards the police mobile brigade headquarters in Petamburan, West Jakarta.

They had set 25 vehicles alight, pelted the dormitory with stones, Molotov cocktails, firecrackers, and bottles. At that time, the boarding guard officers who were guarding also tried to drive away from the masses.

Iqbal said 58 people who were suspected provocateurs were arrested adding that there would be third parties who would take advantage of the protest situation, so people should not get provoked.

He did not name who the provocateurs might be, adding that “We are investigating the people we have arrested”.

The government has deployed some 50,000 police and soldiers in Jakarta in anticipation of protests, Jakarta police spokesman Argo Yuwono said. Many residents have left the city and parts of the downtown are closed to traffic.

In the past week, authorities have arrested three pro-Subianto activists on suspicion of treason, Yuwono said, including a retired general and a former commander of Indonesia’s special forces. Police allege there was a plot to seize crucial government buildings in Jakarta.

Written by Lexy Nantu, Email: