The United States insisted to continue its diplomacy with North Korea despite the communist state's new missile launches - Photo: Privacy.

JAKARTA (THeInsiderStories) – The United States (US) insisted to continue its diplomacy with North Korea despite the communist state’s new missile launches, apparently keeping hopes alive that the latest provocation would not derail efforts to resume nuclear talks between the two countries.

The test of two short-range ballistic missiles on Thursday (07/25) marked a new turn in the on-again, off-again negotiations to dismantle the North’s nuclear weapons program.

It raised questions about whether working-level talks could resume as agreed by US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un during their impromptu meeting at the inter-Korean border on June 30.

North Korean launches of ballistic missiles are also banned under United Nation Security Council resolutions and a direct challenge to Trump’s repeated claims that the regime has stopped missile and nuclear weapons tests under his administration.

But US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo dismissed the latest provocation as a negotiating tactic. The launch was not to cause tension or open the door to war.  The incident to remind President Trump’s commitment to hold talks with Kim, he added.

“We want this diplomacy to succeed. We want Kim to fulfill his promise that he made to President Trump, namely denuclearization,” Pompeo said in an interview with Bloomberg television on Friday (7/26).

Meanwhile, Pompeo considered the tension occur after a missile threat from North Korea. Pyongyang’s warning after US National Security Advisor John Bolton had just left South Korea, again questioning Kim’s commitment to engage in talks to stop the regime’s nuclear program.

Pompeo praised the two leaders meeting, Kim and Trump, since the first meeting in Singapore last year as good progress. Two leaders last meeting took place in the border between North Korea and South Korea on June 30 giving a good influence.

“The US and North Korea will start talks around mid-July to test whether Pyongyang is really ready to hand over its nuclear weapons,” he said.

Nevertheless, Pompeo also didn’t seem bothered by the delay in Washington’s working-level talks with Pyongyang. He suggested that both parties need sufficient time to make a productive dialogue.

“President Trump is very consistent here for diplomacy. We want diplomacy to work, If it takes another two weeks or four weeks, so be it,” he said.

In addition, measures that will be considered further are significant concessions, such as reducing sanctions, as requested by North Korea, to keep negotiations maintained. Officials say North Korea will not get big sanctions until the country releases its nuclear weapons, even though they leave the door open to other offers such as humanitarian aid or open a liaison office.

Reportedly North Korea fired two projectiles from around the eastern coastal city of Wonsan. The projectile flew about 430 kilometers before landing in the waters of the country’s east coast.

Missile Launch became the first reported missile test since Trump and Kim met in the two Korean Demilitarized (DMZ) zones at the end of last June. North Korea’s last weapons test was in May, which included short-range missiles and smaller rockets. At that time, Kim Jong-un oversaw the first flight of the tested weapons.

Kim said the missile launch was a warning to South Korea’s ‘warmongers’. One of the missiles fired by North Korea is a new design.

Is known, Ballistic missile tests violate a US Security Council resolution that prohibits the use of such technology by North Korea. North Korea rejects the restrictions as a violation of its right to self-defense.

After the missile launch, a further step to open diplomacy was a meeting between Pompeo and North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho, estimated to occur on the sidelines of a Southeast Asian security forum in Bangkok next week.

Written by Willy Matrona, Email: theinsiderstories@gmail.com