JAKARTA (TheInsiderStories) – Persatuan Alumni 212 (PA 212) will start rally tomorrow until June 28 to guard the election dispute trial at the Indonesian Constitutional Court, said the spokesman on Monday (06/17). The court will start the first hearing of the lawsuit on June 18.
“Yes, it is correct,” said PA 212 General Secretary Bernard Abdul Jabbar in Jakarta reported by Tempo.
Based on the gathering invitation, which has been confirmed by Jabbar, the PA 212 will hold a mass Friday prayer on June 28, 2019.
Previously, the presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto had prohibited his supporters to hold any rally during the trial. But, Jabbar on the other hand, had previously stated that PA 212 prefers to comply with instructions from their leader Rizieq Shihab compared to Subianto.
While, Indonesia’ head of security, Wiranto, urged on supporters of the two disputed presidential candidates to stay away from the Constitutional Court during a follow-up session on Tuesday (06/18) to prevent post-election riots.
“I ask all of us to be patient. There is no need to have a rally at the court building tomorrow and until the entire trial process is over,” Wiranto told media on Monday afternoon.
The minister said he would act professionally and in accordance with the law when dealing with any demonstrations. However, he said they had not received any information regarding planned demonstrations, and they would have no more riots like those of May 21 – 22.
Wiranto explained that the situation in Jakarta has been conducive to date based on reports from the national police and state intelligence agencies. There was no activity that could potentially disrupt the trial at the Constitutional Court.
He hoped the conditions could continue to be conducive until the Court issued a verdict. Moreover, Wiranto continued, the opposition leader had instructed, even asking his supporters to restrain themselves, be patient and peaceful. Subianto and his running mate Uno has requested that all attend the trial at the Court without any physical activity.
Wiranto then invited the public to think rationally. He said all craved an atmosphere of peace and calm. That way people can move well. There is no need for actions that can actually make anxious and disrupt the activities of the public.
“So I said many times, let’s try to introspect this time because the competing leaders had agreed that they would no longer carry out mass actions that disturbed the community and disturbed the community. So we begged us to respect that, not do any activities that disrupt national security,” he said.
Meanwhile, Jakarta Police spokesman Prabowo Argo Yuwono said 48,000 officers are ready to secure the area around the Constitutional Court building. They were still anticipating the crowd like what happened last Friday when the inaugural session was held.
At that time, dozens of Subianto supporters rallied peacefully outside the court, but the crowd was smaller than during demonstrations that turned violent on May 21-22 after the election commission’s announcement of the official tally. Nine were killed in clashes between protesters and police, with scores more injured. More than 200 people were arrested.
They are reportedly members of various groups, including university students. None of them declined to be identified with Subianto, the lone challenger in the presidential race who had filed a petition with the court to challenge the official results that gave incumbent president Joko Widodo an 11 percent victory.
Claiming that the protesters had come from all around Indonesia, the group orators said that the Constitution Court should represent the public. “We request that the Constitution Court could also use its conscience and not just fixate on the Constitutional Law.”
Aside from demanding justice over the election result, protesters were also seen demanding governmental accountability for the deaths of hundreds of election officers in May.
Written by Lexy Nantu, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org