The West Papua National Committee Gathered to remember Kelly Kwalik and Hubertus Mabel, who were both assassinated by the Indonesian Special Forces in 2009 and 2012 - Photo by Free-Papua Movement

JAKARTA (TheInsiderStories) – After raided National Committee Free-Papua Movement (FPM) headquarters by Indonesian military and police, the advocacy team issued a subpoena to the Mimika Regional Police. The letter signed by the organization lawyers Veronika Korman, Gustaf R Kawer and Yohanes Mambrasar.

In the letter, they urged the authorities to immediately leave the location of the raid and accused the operation violated a lot of rules.

“The operation violates standard operating procedures, criminal law, civil and the constitution law,” she told TheInsiderStories on Friday (01/04).

Two days ago, the Indonesian army and police took over the national committee for FPM headquarters in Timika, Papua. It is true the separatist activity was not allowed to Indonesia territory, but according to Korman, in the operation the authorities was violate a number of legal and constitutional rules.

There were 80 armies and polices monitored the anniversary of the movement and New Year 2019 celebration at the headquarters on Monday (12/31) morning. Police said, at the meeting, FPM activists shouted  freedom slogans and the officer immediately asked them to stop the event.

According to the police, the Papuan activity held in the public facilities, so it can’t against the procedure or law. The officer, finally painted a wall red and white and knocked down another wall that bore the committee’s symbol and slogans refer to Papua’ freedom.

“The headquarters is not allowed to operate anymore and was taken over as army and police post from now on,” Mimika Police chief Agung Marlianto said in a statement on Tuesday (01/01).

In the operation, the apparatus arrested six Papuan who suspected affiliating by FPM but the police turn back them in the next day. Moreover, they forced to sign the letter to express their love to the Republic of Indonesia.

On Dec. 12, there were massacres of 31 civilians who were detained by a group of Rebels, refer to the FPM, not far from the workers’s camp. There were 11 workers managed to escape after pretending to died when gunned. Only six of them were survived, while five others were killed.

Actually, the explosion of the rebellion began when the Indonesian government banned the Papoea Vrijwilligers Corps, a Dutch-inherited military, in May 1963, which been the Free-Papua Movement pioneered. Then, the first Indonesian military counter-operation in Papua in May 1965 killed dozens of civilians.

Afterwards, resistance and violence never subsided. The Papuan people are divided into two groups, one of which is integrated with Indonesia, but the other remains pro-independence.

Thus, the chain of violence and murder had being an inseparable part of the Papuan which often placed civilians as the most vulnerable target in any act of violence, either by the authorities or by pro-independence armed groups.

Most recently, at the commemoration of independence on Dec. 1, a demonstration was carried out by the Alliance of Papuan Students throughout Indonesia. At least 537 students were arrested by the authorities.

Post-incident, a number of parties strongly condemned crimes committed by pro-independence groups. There is no reason that justifies the violence and killing of civilians in the Papua’s conflict. Conversely, the arresting of Papuans students was rallied is violating the Papuans public rights.

Written by Daniel Deha, Email: