JAKARTA (TheInsiderStories) – The Public Works and Housing Ministry on Tuesday (20/02) decided to halt all the construction of elevated structures, both toll road, and light rail transit (LRT) projects, following series of recent accidents.
“We agree to halt the construction works of all elevated structures,” Minister of Public Works and Housing Minister Basuki Hadimuljono told reporters after conducting a meeting with Minister for State Owned Enterprise Rini Soemarno and Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi.
The minister said the construction will be continued once the evaluation of each project is done.
On Tuesday morning, pier head formwork on the Bekasi-Cawang-Kampung Melayu (Becakayu) toll road collapsed in Kebon Nanas, East Jakarta, hitting seven workers. All of the victims are currently undergoing treatment at UKI Hospital in Cawang, East Jakarta.
The Becakayu toll road project is being developed by state-owned construction company Waskita Karya with a contract value of Rp 7.23 trillion (US$532.9 million). The toll road project had been halted for around 20 years before the Joko Widodo government resumed the project in November 2014.
The accident was the latest after series of accidents in the elevated structure projects in the last one year or so. In December 2017, a girder collapsed in the Pemalang-Batang toll road project. In January, a girder of a project in Jalan Antasari, South Jakarta, collapsed.
In the first week of February, a girder launcher collapsed at the construction site of a quadruple railway track project in Matraman, East Jakarta, killing four workers and injuring five others.